1 a crystal of snow [syn: snowflake]
3 a small fragment of something broken off from the whole; "a bit of rock caught him in the eye" [syn: bit, chip, fleck, scrap]
1 form into flakes; "The substances started to flake"
2 cover with flakes or as if with flakes
3 come off in flakes or thin small pieces; "The paint in my house is peeling off" [syn: peel off, peel, flake off]
Etymology 1etyl ang
- A loose filmy mass or a thin chiplike layer of anything; a film; flock; lamina; layer; scale; as, a flake of snow, paint, or fish.
- A prehistoric tool chipped out of stone.
- A person who is flighty, unreliable or impractical.
- She makes pleasant conversation, but she's kind of a flake when it comes time for action.
thin chiplike layer
- Czech: vločka
- To break or chip off in
- The paint flaked off after only a year.
- To prove unreliable or impractical; to abandon or desert, to fail to follow
- He said he'd come and help, but he flaked.
- In the context of "technical": To store an item such as rope in
- The line is flaked into the container for easy attachment and deployment.
- The meat of the gummy shark.
Flake may refer to:
In food preparation:
- Flake, the original name of the band Flake Music, the predecessor of The Shins
- Flake (Australia band), a group formed in 1969, considered part of the third wave of Australian rock
- Flake (Seattle band), an American power pop trio from Seattle, formed in 1992
- "Flake", a song from the 2001 album Brushfire Fairytales by Jack Johnson
- "Flakes", a song from the 1979 album Sheik Yerbouti by Frank Zappa.
- "Flake", an early song from the "Untitled 1995 Demo Tape" by System of a Down.
In film and literature:
flake in German: Flake
flake in Russian: flake
aliene, arrange in layers, avalanche, band, bar, bedlamite, bespangle, bespeckle, bespot, bit, blizzard, blotch, borderline case, character, check, checker, chip, collapse, crackbrain, crackpot, crank, crystal, dandruff, dapple, delaminate, dement, demoniac, desquamate, dot, driven snow, eccentric, energumen, erratic, exfoliate, fanatic, flake off, fleck, floccule, flocculus, flock, flurry, fou, fragment, freak, freckle, granular snow, harlequin, idiot, igloo, iris, keel over, kook, lamina, laminate, lay down, lay up, layer, loon, loony, lunatic, maculate, madman, maniac, mantle of snow, marble, marbleize, meshuggenah, mogul, motley, mottle, noncompos, nonconformist, nut, oddball, paring, particle, pass out, pepper, phrenetic, piece, polychrome, polychromize, rainbow, raving lunatic, recluse, scale, scale off, scrap, screwball, scurf, shaving, sliver, slosh, slush, snow, snow banner, snow bed, snow blanket, snow blast, snow fence, snow flurry, snow roller, snow slush, snow squall, snow wreath, snow-crystal, snowball, snowbank, snowbridge, snowcap, snowdrift, snowfall, snowfield, snowflake, snowland, snowman, snowscape, snowshed, snowslide, snowslip, snowstorm, spangle, speck, speckle, splotch, spot, sprinkle, stigmatize, stipple, strange duck, stratify, streak, striate, stripe, stud, tattoo, tessellate, tuft, variegate, vein, wafer, weirdo, wet snow